Gitcoin Grows Open Source. Learn more at https://gitcoin.co
This is the website that is live at gitcoin.co
master branch - staging
stable branch - live on gitcoin.co
How to interact with this repo
Table of Contents
- web repo
- How to interact with this repo
- What is Gitcoin?
- HTTPS API
- Running locally
- Overriding Application Defaults
- Trying out Gitcoin
- Posting your first issue
- Integrating Gitcoin
- Integrating the 'available work widget' into your repository
- Adding GitcoinBot to your repo
- Adding your token to Gitcoin
- High Level flows...
Check out the CHANGELOG for details about recent changes to this repository.
- want to become a contributor ? Checkout our guidelines & styleguide.
- check out the gitcoinco organization-wide repo.
- check out the open issues list, especially the discussion label and easy-pickings.
What is Gitcoin?
Functionally, the app has several key features:
- Smart Contracts -- Where funded issues are stored and indexed.
- Brochureware -- Describes the project.
- Funded Issue Explorer -- A searchable index of all of the work available in the system.
- Funded Issue Submission / Acceptance flow -- Interface between the application and web3.
- API - the HTTPS API
- Bot - the GitcoinBot
Technically, the system is architected:
- Web3 The main source of truth for the system is the Ethereum blockchain. Check out the smart contracts.
- Web2 This part of the app is built with Python, Django, Postgres, and a handful of other tools that are common in the web2 ecosystem.
- Brochureware Just a nice little landing page telling folks what the Gitcoin project is.
With Docker (Recommended)
Overriding Application Defaults
Trying out Gitcoin
Posting your first issue
- have some work on your Github Issues board that you don't have time (or skills) to do.
- are dependant upon an upstream repo for something, and you'd like to incentivize them to work onit.
try posting a funded issue at https://gitcoin.co/new.
- Make a Contributor Friendly Repo
- Set your OSS repos monetary policy
- Payout Several Contribs at Once
- Crowdfund Bounties
- Make a Gitcoin ENS Name
- Everything you need to know about Gitcoin
- Our Vision: Open Source Money will BUIDL the OSS Ecosystem
Testimonials & Case Studies
Integrating the 'available work widget' into your repository
This widget will help you advertise that you support Gitcoin bounties, so that your community knows the best place to contribute.
Adding GitcoinBot to your repo
Gitcoinbot will allow you to add issues straight from github.
Adding your token to Gitcoin
Have an ERC20 compatible token that you'd like to use on the platform? Great! Submit this form to submit it to the system
High Level flows...
This is the high level flow of a bounty on Gitcoin:
Chain of Custody
- Bounty Funder's Wallet
- StandardBounties Smart Contract deployed at 0x2af47a65da8cd66729b4209c22017d6a5c2d2400
- (Submission Made)
- (Submission Accepted)
- Recipient's Wallet
Anywhere between 2 and 4 above, Funder may withdraw their funds via 'Cancel Bounty' function for any reason.
We may introduce Arbitration via Delphi at some point in the future. Until then, we are lucky that Github users are very protective of their reputation, and therefore very kind to each other, and disputes have not generally arisen.
Showing Support to Individuals
- via Tips
A free, fast way to show immediate gratitude towards an individual via github username or email adress
- Showcases special skills and appreciation towards other Gitcoin members.
This is the high level flow of a tip on Gitcoin:
Note: - Crowdfunded bounties + bulk payouts are secured by Tips (at least until Standard Bounties 2.0 is released). - Kudos are also secured by Tips
- Code - GNU AFFERO GENERAL PUBLIC LICENSE
- Creative assets -- Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International